Also available in a fancy PDF format.
Full-Stack Software Developer, High Seas Consulting (contract)
- Brought data integrity and usability into a shipwrecked React/Rails/ElasticSearch product.
- Developed React components, Backbone models, and Rails APIs for a scheduling-based application spanning multiple services.
- Documented and automated the setup and running of projects using a
combination of Make, Ansible,
shscripting, and Vagrant. With microservices and in-house gems that span the gamut of Rails versions, to a mix of JRuby and MRI versions, plus all the incompatible dependencies among them, it was critical to automate the setup.
Software Developer, The Clymb (contract)
- Provided ongoing Rails, Chef, system administration and migration, and emergency systems support while the company transitioned to their new owner’s platform.
- Maintained legacy marketing and business intelligence apps that staff still depend upon.
Software Developer, Copious Agency (contract)
- Developed new features for a long-running Rails and MongoDB ecommerce application and its accompanying homegrown message queue, product customizer, and order fulfillment middleware layer.
- Significantly simplified the middleware layer by using a data-driven approach. Both sites were closely intertwined but run and developed as separate applications, so changing something seemingly innocuous in either large Rails app could be a disaster. Analyzing server logs, creating custom New Relic dashboards, and using feature flags helped avoid this.
Software Developer, Copious Agency (contract)
- Turned an idea into a beta test – developed a Rails and Neo4j-backed API for a new social network that featured an Ember.js web app as well as a RubyMotion iOS app.
- Contributed to Neo4j’s ActiveRecord bindings.
Applications Engineer, The Clymb
- Developed an image compositing pipeline and interactive tools for creative team to create and adjust product images through a specialized in-browser image editor.
- Wrote asynchronous jobs for backfilling 4M+ user profiles for various personalization, recommendation, and email provider APIs using Redis and Sidekiq.
- Paved the way for a non-technical QA team with “chat ops”.
- Mentored junior developers and interns
- Automated new hire onboarding with Ansible
Software Developer, Biomimicry 3.8 (contract)
- Provided training and resources for new technical employees. Automated on-boarding for new technical hires with Ansible and Vagrant.
- Supported and developed new features for the Biomimicry Student Design Challenge website.
Software Developer, Biomimicry 3.8
- Developed the Biomimicry Student Design Challenge website. It was a huge success with over 150 teams participating and 50 final project submissions in the first year. I developed the site with test-driven development using Ruby on Rails, RSpec, Postgres, Heroku, Ticketmaster/IATS, and Amazon S3.
- On AskNature.org, a database of nature-inspired designs, I optimized SQL queries for drastic speedups, implemented search index health monitoring, and implemented automated spam prevention and detection tools. We won the 2010 Earth Award in the systems category, and we were finalists in the 2011 INDEX awards, an international design competition and traveling exhibit.
- Developed backup, visualization, and reporting tools using Ruby, bash, graphviz, and R.
- Started a BBQ-series at work to make Wednesdays better for everyone.
Program Manager, Spectral Fusion Designs
As part of a semester assignment, I managed a student-run web design group. I spearheaded upgrading development practices to current standards in addition to gathering requirements, setting timelines, and managing client projects.
Web Developer, Regional Learning Project
I illustrated maps, produced interactive websites using PHP and
sed, and friends.
Freelance Web Developer, jmdeldin.com
I designed websites, transcribed mockups into HTML and CSS, contributed to open source projects, developed websites in assorted content management systems, developed custom PHP & MySQL solutions, and managed servers.
Master’s Degree in Computer Science, University of Montana-Missoula
Graduate Portfolio. Emphasis on bioinformatics, human-computer interaction, and machine learning.Coursework included: algorithms, artificial intelligence, computer architecture, computer graphics programming, cryptography, data structures and algorithms, data visualization, human-computer interaction, intro to bioinformatics, machine learning, mobile app development, natural language processing, networking, operating systems, pattern recognition, programming languages, RNA secondary structure and function, simulation and modeling, and software engineering.
B.A. Biology, B.A. Chemistry, University of Great Falls
Final project: Literature review on systemic sclerosis (source)
Deldin, JM, and Schuknecht, M. Biologically Inspired Design: Computational Methods and Tools, chapter The AskNature Database: Enabling Solutions in Biomimetic Design. Springer, September 2013.(Google Scholar)
Bioinformatics Lab, Fall 2011
I taught students in a bioinformatics lab practical Perl and Unix skills for parsing and analyzing sequences, blast output, and other data. You can still view my lesson plans.
Automated Content Usability (2012)
An attempt at automatically identifying content usability and readability issues of a web page. Source code.
RNA Secondary Structure Similarity (2010–2011)
Service to the Profession
- Founder, University of Montana ACM chapter (2011)
- Volunteer reviewer for a Ruby social network analysis paper, “On Clusters in Open Source Ecosystems”
- Familiar: C, C++, Java, Objective-C, OCaml, Scheme
- MySQL, Postgres, Neo4J, Redis
- Web & Application Servers
- Nginx, Lighttpd, Apache, Puma, Unicorn
- System Administration
- Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS
Observed bike trials, BMX, mountain biking, backpacking, rock climbing, bouldering, skimboarding, snowboarding